Bridge to Present

Most Interesting About the Sisters of Notre Dame

Image result for saint julie billiart
“April 8 - ..."
The Sisters of Notre Dame are a religious sisterhood that dates back many years.  Saint Julie and Sister Françoise founded the Sister of Notre Dame in 1805.  Then, in 1844, some sisters traveled to the U.S. to build schools.  Less than a decade later, the first college for women was founded by the sisters in San Jose.  Most recently, the sisters created the Hallmarks of Notre Dame.  These hallmarks emphasize values and ideas that the sisters stand for, such as education.  This is what I find most interesting about the sisters, their value of education.  Saint Julie had a lot of courage to leave the diocese she was in so that she could educate more people.  I find it so interesting and empowering to know that a young woman defied what she was told in order to educate, and I may want to follow in her example.  Saint Julie is a role model for me whenever I am feeling stuck or lost.  I chose this image because it depicts Saint Julie as a kind, loving person.  I also chose it because she symbolizes strength and courage to me. 

● ● ● ● ● ● 

Alumnae Panel Highlight

Image result for sisterhood
“Reviving the Ancient Sisterhood.”
I really enjoyed listening to the speakers from the Alumnae Panel.  One highlight that stuck with me is the emphasis we now put on sisterhood.  When I asked a question about sisterhood events, I heard that they more recently came about.  There were some events, but they are a bigger deal now than back then.  One new sisterhood aspect that we do now but the alumnae did not is wearing our sister class' color.  Whenever we wear our class color green, we make sure to add a touch of blue to support our sisters.  The alumnae were shocked that this is an important part of sisterhood events.  This stuck with me because it made me happy that sisterhood events have evolved to be more supportive of each other.  I am glad that sisterhood is valued at Notre Dame, but I was even more excited to learn how sisterhood becomes more important at Notre Dame as new classes come in.  This makes me believe that as more generations come into Notre Dame, they will become even closer as sister classes.  I chose this image because it reminds me of the Notre Dame sisterhood.  Each class has their own color, but we are all supportive of one another. 

● ● ● ● ● ● 

Being a Part of the Notre Dame Community 

Image result for community
"PatientEngagementHIT."
To me, being a part of the Notre Dame community means being a sister to everyone.  Like I said before, I value the sisterhood at Notre Dame.  Every day at school, I smile and wave to everyone, even if I do not have a class with that person.  This is what I believe being a part of the community means, being kind to everyone.  Being a community is including all people, so being a sister to everyone at Notre Dame is an important aspect of this.  I can translate this into my life by being caring towards all people.  I can form a community outside of school when I am kind and respectful towards all people.  I chose this image because it depicts the community at Notre Dame.  Everyone is different, but everyone is still a sister and kind to everyone else. 

● ● ● ● ● ● 

Notre Dame Values I Will Take With Me

Image result for education
"United Nations."
Sisterhood and education are values that are instilled into me at Notre Dame, so I will take them with me.  I will take sisterhood with me since it applies to life greatly.  Sisterhood teaches me to respect and support everyone else that I go to school with.  I can apply this to life by respecting all people and supporting my future classmates and coworkers.  Education is very important to me since it will help me set up a future for myself.  I will take education into my life by volunteering with young children to help teach them.  I want to follow in Saint Julie's example and educate others for life. I chose this image because it is something I want to do, educate youth.  I can look to Saint Julie since she persevered to educate all children, including young women. 
                                                                                                                                                           
“April 8 - Together with a Noble Who Escaped the Terror, She Founded the Sisters of Notre Dame.” Nobility and Analogous Traditional Elites, 5 Mar. 2017, www.nobility.org/2014/04/07/julie-billiart/.
PatientEngagementHIT. “RWJF Funds Population Health, Community Health Outreach Office.” PatientEngagementHIT, 16 Oct. 2017, patientengagementhit.com/news/rwjf-funds-population-health-community-health-outreach-office.
“Reviving the Ancient Sisterhood.” UPLIFT, 18 Oct. 2017, upliftconnect.com/reviving-ancient-sisterhood/.
United Nations. “Education.” UNHCR, www.unhcr.org/education.html.

Comments

Popular Posts