The Beatitudes

New Insights

I have learned about the Beatitudes for many years.  I even sang a song called Lead Me Lord to help me remember the basis of them.  I knew that the Beatitudes were from the New Testament, but I learned that Jesus was the one who preached them to his followers during the Sermon on the Mount.  I also learned that the Beatitudes are referred to as "guidelines to happiness."  The Beatitudes are things we should do, but some of the deeper meanings are hard to understand.  When I rewrote the Beatitudes in my own words, it helped me to learn more about each individual Beatitude.  For example, I never really knew what "the pure in heart" meant, but I figured out that it is talking about those who truly believed in not only God but in the goodness of others.  I enjoyed this unit since I got to discover more about the Beatitudes even though I thought I had previously learned everything about them!  I chose this image because I learned to relate the Beatitudes with happiness.  The Beatitudes are guidelines to happiness, so they are intended to make people feel better when they are followed.  

● ● ● ● ● ●

My Favorite Beatitude

"Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven" is the Beatitude that resonates most with me.  I personally think that this Beatitude is discussing that even though people may lose hope and feel that there is little good left, there is still always something out there that is positive.  This Beatitude fits perfectly with me.  Sometimes I feel like there is so much bad in the world and there is no one out there that is striving to help others.  Especially after watching the news, I feel without hope.  Then, I will hear a story about a young person who helped someone greatly and feel that the world still does have God's children in it.  This Beatitude also relates to my school work too.  Some nights I will be studying for a test and give up because I do not understand, but I end up overthinking it and doing well on the test.  This Beatitude teaches me to keep believing in myself and others.  I chose this image since it relates to my favorite Beatitude.  This man looks like he owns very little, yet he still smiles.  He may look like he is poor in spirit but really this man is showing the goodness in the world by simply smiling.  This man can teach us to see the good in the world even though he may be struggling.  

● ● ● ● ● ● 

New Realizations

During the class discussion, I realized how relatable most of these Beatitudes are.  Originally, I only thought that a couple applied to my life.  After talking with many of my classmates, I realized that even though the Beatitudes are old, they are still relevant today.  Before the activity, the Beatitude "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled" was outdated.  I then learned that this ties into a major issue today, equality.  This Beatitude is discussing how those who want to feel equal to their brothers and sisters will eventually feel satisfied. I really enjoyed the activity since I got to learn more about my classmates and their views on the Beatitudes.  I chose this image because it relates to one of the most prevalent Beatitudes.  Because these people want equality, they are marching.  They want righteousness, and soon they will be filled.  

● ● ● ● ● ●

The Beatitudes in My Life

I feel that the Beatitudes are something I want to work on more in my life.  They are guidelines for me on how to give to others without needing something back.  "Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy" is one I will strive to work on more.  When my patience is tested, I will show others mercy rather than yelling at them or becoming angered.  I can work on this whenever I am helping my brother with his homework and he begins to bother me.  "Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted" is another Beatitude I can work on.  I tend to comfort people right when they need comfort, but sometimes my friends need comfort more than just that initial time.  I want to work on being there for my friends and family the whole time they need comfort or even when they do not.  I am going to try to add the Beatitudes to my morals from now on. I chose this image since it reminds me of giving.  The Beatitudes remind me to give to others.  God gives us his creation to share with everyone else, just like in the picture.   

                                                                                                                                                             
National Equality March. . Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/142_2317872/1/142_2317872/cite. Accessed 20 Nov 2017.
Portrait of a happy old man. This man looks so happy due to his simplicity. Chittagong, Bangladesh. 2007.. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/300_3200729/1/300_3200729/cite. Accessed 20 Nov 2017.
**All other images labeled for noncommercial reuse

Comments

Popular Posts